Sunday, November 23, 2014


Reflections on the Ninth Week of Fall

Chickadees don't mind immersing when it's 23° and snowy. I do. But my rheumatologist prescribed aerobics, and the deep water fitness class at Meadville YMCA fit that requirement. Feeling I'd rather use a cold water wetsuit, I packed my black and white skirted swimsuit and a black T-shirt in case the old straps didn't hold. Because this was my first visit, the kind young woman at the front desk let me in for free. I changed; put my hair in a ponytail; stuffed winter coat, boots, and three layers of clothing inside a locker; and followed wet steps to the pool. “At least you have one person in your class,” a life guard said to another. I was early so did breast stroke and side stroke in the empty pool for the end of lap swim time. No wetsuit needed–the water was toasty. Another women arrived. The first life guard helped me into a flotation belt and gave me a set of water barbells. The other led us through leg kicks and arm swings. The movements weren't hard, but the class was. The belt bounced me up and forward. I concentrated on not bumping into anyone. Despite balance issues and active exercise, I didn't need the T-shirt for a strap malfunction. I did need a knit cap pulled way down over my wet hair for the drive home.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hope your arthritis improves with the water exercising, Janet. And I loved the pictures, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete