Sunday, February 15, 2015


Reflections on the Eighth Week of Winter

My Valentine to Spence read, “It's all the moments we spend together that matter,” so, on Valentine's Day, I ran errands with him. With flashers blinking, four wheel drive engaged, and bluegrass on the radio, we crept through a snow squall to CVS for meds and dental floss. Next we crossed Meadville to Dunham's for long underwear. Ready for Giant Eagle, Spence turned the key. No clicks. No grinding. Nothing. I called AAA and waited fifteen minutes for a counselor to say a technician with equipment to test and replace the battery would arrive within an hour. Spence offered to have a friend take me home, but I stuck with him. We went back into the store to stay warm. Forty minutes later, he tried the truck. It turned over. Then my phone rang–help was five minutes away. Since the help was a tow truck, not a battery diagnosing technician, I canceled the request. Spence maneuvered the truck to Giant Eagle. I stayed with the running engine while he got groceries and licorice, his second Valentine for me. Most Valentine treats had arrived earlier. He'd given me a red anthurium Monday. Thursday, the first mail delivery in our new box included cards from friends. But the best Valentine came Thursday night. Our nephew emailed, “Adelaide River Wells: Welcome to the world, little girl.” I'm looking forward to moments with my grand niece.

No comments:

Post a Comment