Sunday, January 10, 2016


Reflections on the Third Week of Winter


“There's our movie star.” Jim, the hefty guy from Deep Water Fitness, called from the shallow end of the pool.

      My mirror lens goggles, the only pair I could find in my size, had given Jim that crazy idea the last time he saw me at lap swim.

      “You're a regular Ester Williams, Janet.”

      Dripping from a pre-swim shower, I smirked and climbed down the steps into the cool water. Without any resemblance to Ester, I kicked and stroked a half mile. After another shower and putting on dentist-visit clothes, I hefted myself up on a tall chair in the YMCA lounge to eat lunch.
      Jim tapped keys on a computer at the next table.
      I waved.
      Scowling at the computer screen, he barely nodded.
      I ignored the television sitcom behind me, critiqued a workshop writer's chapter about a short high school sophomore being hustled to join the wrestling team, and munched a fish sandwich. Not until I hopped down from the chair and stuck my arms in my coat sleeves did I hear Jim again.
      “This is embarrassing.” He blushed. “I didn't recognize you in your clothes.”
      I chuckled. “I guess I don't look like a movie star now.”
      “Oh, you're a movie star all right. You're just incognito.”
       With shiny, polished teeth, I shared the movie star, in clothes, incognito episode with Spence.

      He laughed then scrunched his forehead. “Are you sure he wasn't . . .”

      “Jim chats up everyone at the Y. He wasn't hitting on me.”
      In a week punctuated by unexpected tears shattering quiet moments, I was grateful for the laugh.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment