Sunday, March 20, 2016

Reflections on the Thirteenth Week of Winter


    This week, when I arrived at the Learning Center for my regular Thursday morning volunteer work, I stepped into a sea of green. Children wore green top hats, headbands with plastic shamrocks bobbing on springs, lucky Irish T-shirts, and green striped socks. Not paying any attention to my blue jeans and purple shirt, they busied themselves checking the leprechaun traps they'd designed and built earlier in the week. Gold glitter, broken traps, and half-inch, green poster paint footprints messed up classroom floors. Children grinned, chattered, and cleaned.
    I left the Learning Center to run errands and pick up my friend Cindy for an afternoon Deep Water Fitness class at the YMCA. No one wore green in the pool. We flutter kicked, crunched abs, and pressed flotation boards under the water. When I drove Cindy back to her house, though, she said, “You'd better hurry home and put on some green before someone pinches you.”
    “I'm wearing green underpants,” I said. “If anyone threatens to pinch me, I'll just pull down my jeans.”
    My daughter Ellen also celebrated St. Patrick's Day with students and no green–no green beer that is. She'd accompanied a group of thirty-one Purdue undergrads on a spring break tour of Great Britain and Ireland. They spent St. Patrick's Day in Dublin. From the back of a crowd, Ellen caught snippets of the parade and a St. Patrick character chasing away inflatable, floating snakes. She trusted the students to manage Dublin on their own in the evening while she stayed at the hotel for an Irish themed dinner, music, and step-dancing.
    In the evening, I wished Spence a St. Patrick's Day blessing which triggered his memories of him and his brother Bruce sliding down the stairs on their butts. Bump, bump, bump, bump. The noise and giggling upset their grandmother Mimi. She fussed. “You'll get cancer if you keep doing that!”
     However you celebrate, I offer you the same St. Patrick's Day blessing:
       As you slide down the banister of life,
       May the splinters never point in the wrong direction!

1 comment: