Sunday, April 29, 2018


Reflections on the Sixth Week of Spring – Simple Gifts
Charlie and George

I’d postponed many a to-do on my clipboard list for after the May 5th quilt show―
Plan 50th anniversary trip to Prince Edward Island.
Research candidates for May 15 primary election.
Wash windows.
But I never postponed―
Enjoy Charlie.
    Snuggled under the covers at 10:30 p.m. Monday, I listened to the wumph of the front door opening, swish-clink of taco chips falling into a bowl, and thud of footsteps walking down the hall.
    Our son Charlie had arrived.
    Yawning, I forced my groggy mind to push
Hand sew border to back of quilt.
lower on the clipboard list and visualized writing
Enjoy Charlie!!!
at the top.
    Tuesday morning, I woke to husband Spence’s hand on my shoulder. “I’m leaving for Cleveland. Play a game with Charlie.”
    At breakfast, Charlie’s head bent horizontal to the table.
    Could I ignite his charming conversation? “Do you think the Cavs can beat the Pacers?”
    “Don’t know.” He pushed his chair back and shuffled to the sliding glass door.
    So much for charming conversation. And he didn’t look like a fella ready for cribbage. “How are you feeling?”
    He turned his gray, drooping face toward me and frowned. “I didn’t sleep well last night.”
   No game. No conversation. Maybe he’d enjoy something cheery for his apartment. Maybe not, but . . .
    “Would you like to take some daffodils home?”
    His head jerked up, his eyes widened, and his answer surprised me as much as my question had surprised him. “Sure.”
    I pulled on a jacket and grabbed scissors. “Do you want to come for a daffodil walk?”
    Charlie didn’t answer. He scooped our cat George off the floor. In both arms, Charlie cradled George as if he were the newborn royal prince.
    With tummy and paws pointed toward the ceiling, George glared at Charlie’s face.
    Charlie smirked.
    Figuring I’d go alone, I slipped into boots, opened the front door, and stepped onto the porch.
   Carrying George, Charlie followed.
    I wasn’t going alone. Laughing, I fondled George’s ears.
    Wind chimes clanged.
    George swiveled his head.
    Charlie and I walked past the pansy planters, down the ramp, and out the gate.
    While I pushed the gate shut, George stared at it.
    Charlie jostled George. “Yeah. That’s the gate, and you’re on the wrong side.”
    Bending from the waist, I cut four of the double daffodils that Priscilla, Charlie’s grandma, had brought to Wells Wood years ago. I turned and waved the daffodils under George’s nose.
    His nostrils quivered at the sweet-tangy smell.
    Charlie chuckled.
    We moseyed through the front yard to the driveway. Gravel crunched under our feet.
    George squirmed in Charlie’s arms.
    “Do you want to carry him into the woods?”
    George lurched.
    Charlie tightened his hold. “No. He’s had enough.” Charlie climbed the porch steps, reached over the gate, and set George on the cement floor.
    Silently, Charlie and I followed the tractor path across the field. He paused to study the pump and the site of the old cabin where he’d eaten many a dinner with his grandparents. After his reverie, he flashed a sheepish grin.
    We headed into the woods. Bare tree branches towered overhead. Wet leaves cushioned our steps to where Priscilla had planted traditional trumpet daffodils. I crouched and cut half a dozen daffodils before we walked deeper into the woods.
    A rabbit rushed under the hemlock.
    A cardinal and phoebe sang a duet.
    Woodpeckers drummed.
    A robin chirped.
    Waving daffodils welcomed us when we climbed to the grassy knoll above Deer Creek. I inhaled the rain washed air, listened to water burble, and watched Charlie swivel his head to take in the scene. When he turned and smiled broadly at me, we walked back to the log house.
    Charlie opened the door.
    George dashed past us to get inside first.
    Charlie chuckled and swept George’s sister Emma off the great room floor.
    Cradled in Charlie’s arms, she purred.
    After filling a jar with water, I arranged the daffodils then hoisted the jar as if toasting our shared adventure. “Your grandma planted all of these. Well, Spence and I transplanted the double daffodils out front, but the flowers from the woods were where she put them.”
    Dimples tinged with pink, Charlie nodded and hugged Emma against his chest.
    “If you want to play a game
    He shook his head and lowered Emma to the floor. “I think I’ll lie down.”
    “A better idea.” I set the jar of daffodils on the table and hugged my man-child.
    Charlie walked down the hall and closed the guest room door.
    I climbed to the loft. With each stitch I took in the quilt for the May 5th show, my mind returned to the daffodil walk with Charlie.
    When Spence takes a daffodil walk with me, he recites “I wandered lonely as a cloud in honor of Wordsworth’s 1802 daffodil walk with his sister Dorothy.
    But my daffodil walk with Charlie brought to mind,
    His company, his smile, and his reverence for the homestead are simple gifts.
George and the Daffodils

No comments:

Post a Comment