Sunday, September 23, 2018


Guest Blog by Spencer Charles Wells – George's Big Morning

George
September 10th, while Spence and I prepared for a day of adventure, misadventure, and intriguing people on Prince Edward Island, our cat-sitting son Charlie sent this email.








Spencer Charles to Spencer and me George's Big Morning 5:30 a.m.


So breakfast time does roll around.



"Come on, George!"


No answer.


I look around and he is sitting at the door again, staring back at me.


"Really?


More staring.


"Okay... "


I open the door and we go out. It’s cold. And dark. And the wind chimes are ringing. I stay with him as he walks around in two complete circles before heading back in.


I return to cooking. Five minutes later I notice no one is begging for food at my heels. I look over at the door. 


As soon as he sees my head turn, George, sitting by the door, lets out a chorus of squeaky cries.


"Okay..."


This time I figure I'll leave him out there for a while, let him get it out of his system. So I go back to cooking. Come back and check the doormat, no George.


Open the door, poke my head out. He is licking rain water off the side of the plant food bucket.


"Okay..."


I close the door. Shortly after, he is asking to be let in. 
 

"You're wet George."


He doesn't argue, but neither does he complain. Instead after snacking on maybe three crunchies, he asks to go outside again and drink more rain water.


This happens over a dozen times, with the trips getting longer each time. As I sat down to write this, he was still outside, so I went to look for him.


He and I are curled up on the love seat [outside on the porch], listening to the rain and the wind and the wind chimes.


Emma is inside somewhere. Sleeping.
Charlie and George