Monday, December 29, 2014


Reflections on the First Week of Winter

Spence's family defined Boxing Day, December 26, as the time English gentry gave servants hand-me-downs. For years we've used the day to celebrate a second Christmas with Spence's brother and his family. This year we walked through the woods–iron tree sightings, deer print detecting, britches splitting, fallen tree vaulting, and pauses for photographing. Next, Spence's slow cooked pork dinner disappeared. Folks identified song titles from erudite synonyms such as “I Spied My Maternal Parent Osculating.” Christmas presents were exchanged with smiles. Then, having offered downsizing extras in vain for years, I changed tactics to a Boxing Day spirit and gave hand-me-downs wrapped in brown paper bags with name tags and red ribbons. The younger generation couldn't say, “No, thank you.” Unwrapping Doctor Who novels, Laura said, “I don't let my students read them till I have.” Pat called out dates, “1925 silver dollar, 1907 Indian head penny,” from odd coins in a tin. Sarah pulled the bag off a horse head lamp and said, “I needed a second lamp at my place.” Success. The Boxing Day treasurers moved to new houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment