Monday, January 12, 2015


Reflections on the Third Week of Winter


Spence studied weather.com and Weather Underground every morning for the best time to log, grease the tractor, and plow. He never found a greasing day but managed to get us from Cleveland to Wells Wood Wednesday. Wet roads changed to tire track lanes then to snow covered surfaces. Flurries and dry snow blew into whiteouts. Spence drove slowly with flashers. That weather canceled my quilt meeting. Instead of having a dangerous drive in the dark, I shred brown bags for worm food and called Mom Dot on her last night in the rehab center. Snow and ice delayed school openings Thursday. I used my volunteering holiday to cut fabrics for a quilt to celebrate Ellen and Chris' wedding. Sunshine streaming through the window was irresistible. I pulled on boots, grabbed my camera, and took a snowy photo walk. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morphed into quilt days. I cut, arranged colors, glanced out at the snow scape, and took breaks to revise my bear story for the Meadville Vicinity Pennwriters meeting–rescheduled because of the freezing rain last week. George adapted to the weather as well. He sat within a foot of the wood stove. Spence grabbed the hot-to-the-touch cat and said, “George, you're going to set your fur on fire.”

No comments:

Post a Comment