Sunday, March 22, 2015


Reflections on the Thirteenth Week of Winter

 

Sunlight cued birds that spring was arriving. Monday Spence spotted the first robin–actually first four robins. They searched for worms in snow-free garden patches. Later, bird calls alerted Spence to look overhead. A pair of bald eagles circled the field then settled in trees near the edge of the woods. He fetched me. With zoom lens on my Nikon, I stood by the garage, took some pictures, walked two steps, and took more. The eagle watched me approach. When I got to the bench between the field and garden, the eagle rocked back and forth on the branch. I quietly backed away. Saturday, the first full day of spring, birds started their morning chorus at 5:00. At 7:00, wearing fuzzy red slippers and a winter jacket over my nightgown, I stepped onto the porch. The cheerful spring celebration included robins, geese, crows, a phoebe, cardinals, chickadees, sparrows, two drumming woodpeckers, and Deer Creek gushing through the valley. A flock of robins sprinted across muddy grass, and mourning dove wings chittered as a dove flew. No eagles called. But I'd heard them mid week on the hill across the road. Hopefully, they'll nest nearby. [Listen to the eagle's peal call on Cornell Lab of Ornithology's website http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bald_eagle/sounds
 

2 comments:

  1. My husband also spotted a robin, but that was last week. Today I watched a cowbird partake of the bird feeder. I also saw that sparrow that looks like someone dipped it in raspberry juice at the feeder (can't recall what it's name is!). That's two bird species that are returning for spring. Pity it's so cold a spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've intrigued me with the description of a sparrow dipped in raspberry juice. Did you mean the purple finch? The female looks like a brown sparrow, but the male does look like it had been dipped in raspberry juice. The sparrows I know with a bit of red are American Tree, Field, Chipping, and Swamp.
    Keep bird watching.

    ReplyDelete