Sunday, March 8, 2015


Reflections on the Eleventh Week of Winter

Written in large letters across the top of my weekly project list was ENJOY SPENCER CHARLES. He'd planned to vacation at Wells Wood, but he caught the flu. While he rested in Columbus, we played Words with Friends on line. He emailed that he was reading Colin Dexter mysteries, listening to sports podcasts, and watching Netflix. At Wells Wood, instead of baking pie and playing backgammon, I sewed stain glass quilt blocks for Ellen and Chris. Being a slow quilter–one who sews, irons, measures, rips, and resews–I hoped to finish a block a day. My new quarter-inch foot had a little edge to keep seams straight. It didn't help when I sewed pieces backwards or upside down. I finished seven blocks in seven days and was ready for a get together with my quilting friend in Meadville. I touched her square on the phone menu, and a male voice answered. Figuring it was her son-in law, I asked for Cindy. The male voice said, “You've got the wrong number, Mom.” The phone had defaulted to my son? A happy mistake. We chatted about his computer tinkering and travel plans for Ellen and Chris' October wedding celebration. The phone visit let me enjoy Spencer Charles.
 

1 comment: