Sunday, November 27, 2016


Reflections on the Tenth Week of Fall – Thanksgiving Calm

    Friday, our daughter Ellen walked in the door, accepted my hug, and dropped her suitcase by the kitchen table. She scrunched her eyebrows and, with her right index finger extended, pivoted left then right. “Are we having Thanksgiving dinner tonight?”
    “Yes,” I said feeling guilty.
    “But there's no chaos in the kitchen.” Ellen looked from her husband Chris lugging in another suitcase to her dad, her brother Spencer Charles, and back at me. “Everyone's calm.”
    Spencer Charles chuckled. “The chaos happened yesterday.”
    Her dad nodded.
    Actually the injure-myself hustle had started Wednesday. Between games of Ticket to Ride with Spencer Charles, I roasted a homegrown pumpkin and mashed it through the food mill. Not till evening, when I cut celery, onions, and bread cubes to assemble into stuffing Thursday morning, did I slice a quarter inch chunk of skin off my thumb. A bandage kept blood out of the pumpkin pie I baked before bed.
    Thursday, I jumped up from the breakfast table and fetched apples from the fridge. With an apple pie and stuffing baking in the oven, I set the timer and played backgammon with Spencer Charles at the kitchen table. Periodically I pulled the stuffing out of the oven and called both Spencers over to look. “Is it done yet?”
    Spencer Charles shrugged.
    Spence said, “It's done when you think its done.”
    Sigh.

    I stuck the stuffing back into the oven and waited for the bing of the pie timer to pull out both pie and stuffing. Next I roasted the turkey along with an experiment–two Jack-Be-Little pumpkins filled with applesauce made from Wells Wood apples.
    Avoiding my hustle, Spence waited till I flopped in the Adirondack chair to catch my breath before making his mashed potatoes and gravy.
    At a cozy three person dinner, I pronounced the experiment a successful failure. The Jack Be Littles' rich, nutty-squash flavor blended perfectly with the applesauce, but scraping the squash from the inside of the shell was too much mess and work for guests.
    Thursday's food tasted great but didn't invoke a celebrating Thanksgiving feeling
   Friday I'd only baked a double batch of pumpkin cookies to keep calm for Ellen and Chris' arrival.

    Giving Chris a welcoming hug when he set his suitcase beside Ellen's, I said, “I cooked ahead so I could enjoy your company. I hope you don't mind warmed up leftovers.”
    “Fine with me,” said Chris.
    Ellen pursed her lips.
    I gave Ellen another hug before pulling two containers and a covered platter from the refrigerator. With a minimum of hustle, I heated leftovers one by one in the microwave then put it in the oven to stay warm.
    While Spence cooked fresh gravy and heated frozen Wells Wood asparagus and purple green beans on the stove top, aromas of poultry seasoning, mashed potatoes then turkey floated from the closed oven. I set the table with the new log cabin place mats I'd sewed with a yellow center symbolizing welcome.
    All five of us sitting together and sharing stories over the meal filled my stomach and nourished my soul.
    It doesn't have to be chaotic to be Thanksgiving.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment