Sunday, December 4, 2016


Reflections on the Eleventh Week of Fall – Swimming Irritations

    Forget the apple. Swimming three times a week keeps arthritis away.
    To swim at the Meadville YMCA, I established a smooth, two hour and forty-five minute routine. Pack, drive, change, swim, shower, dress, drive, and deal with wet gear.
    Then, two weeks ago, Monday came.
    A sign that said, “Pool Closed Today,” greeted me at the check-in desk. My face must have registered disappointment because Tess's welcoming smile turned to a frown. “I'm sorry. The regulator went crazy over the weekend and dumped extra chlorine into the pool. The malfunction should be fixed tomorrow.”
    I sighed, stuffed my gear in a locker, and walked to exercise room behind the check-in desk. Mounting a stationary bike, I peddled through Paris via a video of crowded streets and views of Notre Dame Cathedral, Eiffel Tower, and Arc de Triomphe. My knees gave out before the video ended.
    Tuesday, Tess kept her welcoming smile. “The pool's fixed. You can swim today.”
    Three regulars, Leeann, Mike, and Eva, were already exercising when I toed off my pool shoes and walked down the steps into the water. Odor of chlorine assaulted my nostrils. Yuck.
   I had sixty lengths or two thirds of a mile to swim.
    I dove under and came up pulling my arms into a breast stroke. I pulled, breathed, thrust and kicked.
    My lips numbed.
    Weird.
    Fifty-two lengths to go.
   I switched to a side stroke. With my right hand, I cupped water, swished it back to my left hand, then scissor kicked. I glimpsed Jackie, another regular swimmer, standing in street clothes on the deck and talking to the life guard.
   Why wasn't Jackie in her suit?
   Forty-two lengths to go. 
    Staring at the ceiling tiles and tucking my feet toward my butt, I drew my hands up my torso then flung my arms to the side. Kicking and forcing my arms to my thighs, I splashed my face and zipped through the water. The insides of my mouth and nose were as parched as desert sand. Thank goodness I hadn't forgotten my goggles.
    Thirty lengths to go.
    I pulled, breathed, and thrust forward. The others weren't putting their heads under the water. Leeann, who marches and swishes Styrofoam barbells, and Mike, who only swims side stroke since his back operation, never do, but Eva usually varies freestyle and backstroke. Today she doggy paddled. Maybe they knew something I didn't.
    Eighteen lengths to go.
    The room quieted letting splashes from my elementary backstroke echo off the walls. I stopped at the shallow end and surveyed the pool. Everyone had left. Forget the last sixteen lengths. I'd settle for a half mile today.
    I grabbed the edge of the pool, moved my left leg back and set my heel on the bottom. While I stretched, I stared at the gurgling fountain.
    Was it circulating the maximum amount of chlorine, or had the regulator malfunctioned again?
   When I returned home, I dumped my gear into the wash tub. Suit, shoes, bathing cap, and goggles reeked as if I'd poured a gallon of bleach over them. Sheesh.
    On Thursday, Tess greeted me with an even wider, welcoming smile. “The pool's fixed. You'll have a lovely swim.”
    But she'd said the pool was fixed Tuesday.
    “Great,” I said exchanging my car keys for a lock to secure a locker. “The last swim was bleachy.”
    Her smile switched to a pursed lip pout.
    I changed and zoomed through the smooth, odorless water as if it were liquid silk. But when I swam between Eva and Jackie, snippets of their conversation bothered me. “. . . such a headache . . . my fillings felt like they were coming out . . .”
    In the locker room, I fastened the hooks of my bra and asked Jackie. “Were you talking to Eva about the chlorine Tuesday? Is that why you didn't swim?”
    “Yes. It was too high. They closed the pool Tuesday afternoon.”
    Yikes. Right after I'd left. “How high was it?”
    “You don't want to know.”
    “Yes, I do.”
    “No. You don't.”
    Pulling my turtleneck over my head I said, “Tell me.”
    “They read the indicator wrong. They thought it was six, but it was really twelve.”
    What did the numbers mean?
    I drove home and searched Google for pool chlorine levels.  Two to three parts per million is recommended. More than three will emit an odor and cause irritation.
    Swimming on that fated Tuesday kept more than arthritis away. I bet I'm still germ free from my swim in bleach.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment