Saturday, December 24, 2016


Reflections on the First Week of Winter – Noisy Night

Guest Blog by Emma and Her Ghost Writer

    “Emma.”
    Janet can wait. I chomp another mouthful.
    Her bedsprings creak. “Emma!”
    She can't wait.
    I patter down the hall and jump on the bed. She's on her side. Tempting target. I head butt her posterior. Bullseye.
    She reaches back to fondle my ears.
    I purr.
    She sighs and snuggles under the covers.
    Almost time. If I lull her to sleep, I can frolic without a camera pointing at me. I settle behind her back and cross my front legs.
    Fifteen minutes later, Janet's rhythmic breathing makes me yawn. I shake off drowsiness. Time to empty the toy basket. I ease to the edge of the bed and jump onto her fuzzy red slippers to muffle my landing.
    Bang, boom, crash.
    Why is George exercising on the metal steps now?
    I glance from the camera bag on the dresser to Janet under the covers. She's calm. I creep out of the bedroom. My chubby brother dashes from the basement to the loft.
    Clang, clank, thunk.
    Perhaps he's trying to wake the birds roosting in the white pines.
    Janet snorts and takes a long sleep breath.
    Silence in the loft. Fine. George's probably squatting in the litter box. I tiptoe toward the toy basket next to the wood stove.
    Thump, thung, thud.
    No litter box squatting. George beats me to the basket and knocks it over.
    Dragons, fish, and feathered pineapples fly. Jingling bells roll on the floor. Aroma of catnip floats my way.
    George chases a squishy, green tinsel ball. His claws scratch the hardwood floor. He bumps into the ash bucket and clambers over the fire place poker. Is he trying to wake the whole planet?
    On his third pass around the room, I whack him on the head.
    He stops and gives me his what-was-that-for look. Forgetting the tinsel ball, he licks my forehead.
    As if.
    But licking me calms him down. He finishes grooming me and waddles to the kitchen for a snack.
    Janet's quiet in the bedroom. I'm safe. No camera.
    I rub a catnip fish over my whiskers. Aaah. I juggle it with my paws then roll to my side for some meditation. Maybe I'll sharpen my claws on the log wall next.
    Mer-aaaaaw.
    He wouldn't.
    Mer-aaaaw.
    He would. George bites his hairy toy snake and paces.
    Mer-aaaaa in the great room.
    He thinks he's a shaman ridding the house of evil spirits.
    Mer-aaaaw in the bathroom.
    Forget the camera.
    Mer-aaaaw in the bedroom.
    Waking Janet will make her grouchier than any evil spirit. I scamper to the bedroom.
    The bed springs creek.
    She thrashes her legs.
    I jump on the bed and head butt her posterior.
    Her legs stop moving.
    George drops his hairy, toy snake and pads away.
    Yawn. I need a long winter's nap.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment